Monday, July 2, 2007

Training and Humble

I have really started off my new training hard and fast. I am running everyday and mixing in shadowboxing, push-ups, and sit-ups through out. I have really minimized my weight lifting due to the physical demands of my job and my need for fast weight loss (I know the more muscle the better fat burn). I am lifting it's just on a limited basis. Also I have started taking vitamins and a fat burner, don't worry I am only sticking to the minimum dosage. I guess another thing I have started is alot of hill running (soon to be mountain running) and meditation. I have to believe that a major part of my training consists of mental training. I have been thinking of doing yoga but for now I will stick to my 20 minute stretch sessions. At first when i started training everyday again, I was worried I would re-injure my lower back, but alot of that was not understanding my body and what it can do. That is where the meditation and self-reflection came in. I needed to really be comfortable in who I was, so in-between quiting and starting again I really tried to not only figure out who I was but figure out my own body and it's limits. This is where I discovered that I am only limited in my mind and I must continue through the pain times and work past the threshold where most people quit. I want that pain in my life, I need that pain in my life. Friday I am starting classes at a new Jiu-Jitsu Academy and I think that it will be good for me. I loved training at Undisputed but I need a more structured place to train at where they tell me where I need to be and guide me on that journey (basically a belt system).
Tonight I watched UFC All Access: Sean Sherk, and let me tell you. I am nowhere near where I have to be to compete at a champion level. I will be there though. I am definitely taking a longer road, but a road all the same. He is just so intense and I hope to keep in mind during my training to come that there is always someone out there training that much harder than you, and use that to keep me going when preparing for a match. Well I should go to bed. I have to get up and run in the morning.

3 comments:

ejs said...

Phil,

Don't forget to give your muscles a day to recover. If you work one set of muscles hard one day, rest them the next day and work a different set of muscles. Recovery is just as important as exercise, say the exercise physiology textbooks.

Your cool aunt,

Ellen

Anonymous said...

hey phil...nice to hear ur busy...oi man..i know u got this blog for ur reasons...and i know that comments as this isnt one of them..but i have no other way to communicate with u..well messenger but im almost ever on anymore....well man just cheking in hope everything is well ....seems ur keeping busy...hey u still have my number dont be a stranger...:)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.